Student Blackboard FAQs
Why can’t I login?
I can’t see my course(s).
How do I change my password?
Can I change my email address?
What browser should I use?
Can I customize my Course List?
Can I see what’s new in all my courses?
Course Content and Tools
I can't find an assignment, test, or some other piece of course content.
How do I check my grades?
My instructor informed me that I am showing as inactive in TurningPoint. I created a Turning Account. Why am I inactive?
I created my Turning Accout with a personal email address, how can I change it?
How do I know if I have setup successfully for polling?
The Official Blackboard Help Site, FAQs, and a variety of short video tutorials are available from Blackboard. Also, when logged in to Blackboard, check out the Student Guides section for links to helpful documentation.
Additionally, students can contact the GW Division of IT at (202) 994-4948 for Blackboard assistance.
- Confirm that you’re entering your GW NetID and password correctly and that your caps lock key is not on. Your NetID is the first part of your GWmail address (before the @gwu.edu). If you do not have a NetID you can create one online or call the GW Division of IT for assistance.
- Identify when you created your GW NetID. If you have just created your NetID, allow one day for your account to be added to the Blackboard system.
- Reset your password. If you forget your NetID password or cannot login, you can reset your password online or contact the GW Division of IT for assistance.
For further assistance contact the GW Division of IT at (202) 994-4948.
If you do not see all your courses listed after logging in to Blackboard, check the following:
- Are you officially enrolled in the course?
Check the GWeb Information System to verify that you are officially enrolled in the course. If you have just registered, please allow one day for your enrollment to be added to the Blackboard system.
- Has your instructor made the course available to students?
Some instructors choose not to use Blackboard for their course so students should not expect to see every course in which they are enrolled on their course list. However, if they instruct you to access a course in Blackboard, but it’s not in your course list, first verify your enrollment in the GWeb Information System and then contact the instructor to inform them that you cannot see the course.
You cannot change your email of record in Blackboard. Blackboard uses your official GW email address.
Blackboard is accessible via most major web browsers, such as Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer (Windows), and Safari (Mac).
The Course Menu can be hidden to give users more space to display content in Blackboard. To view the menu again, single click the gray arrow located on the left side of the page.
In most cases, students do not have access to courses from previous semesters. If you need access to content from a previous semester, you must contact the instructor to request copies of the materials or ask that they temporarily make the course available so that you may access it.
- Click the gear icon in the top right corner of the Course List module.
- On the Personalize: Course List page, place check marks next to the courses and information that you’d like listed.
- Click Submit. A confirmation message will appear at the top of the page if it has been successfully updated.
The Global Navigation Menu allows you to see updates from courses you are enrolled in, view grades, be reminded of due dates, and much more. At the top of any page click the arrow next to your name to access the Global Navigation Menu and choose what you'd like to view.
- The Blackboard Mobile Learn app is availble for iOS and Android devices. Mobile Learn is supported on Android 2.3.5 + and on iOS 7+.
- Bb Student, Blackboard's newest mobile solution for students, is available at not cost for iOS, Android, and Windows devices.
If you are having trouble using the mobile apps, try using a browser on your device to access Blackboard at blackboard.gwu.edu.
Course Content and Tools
If you experience issues during a test, and you cannot reopen it or continue, contact your instructor immediately.
The following tips can help you avoid issues in the future:
- Use a wired connection if possible. Wireless internet connections are less reliable.
- Do not click the browser’s back button.
- Do not refresh the browser page or close the browser window.
- Compose your text in an external application (i.e. Microsoft Word, Open Office, Pages, etc.) and then paste it into Blackboard.
For more on Tests follow these links:
Your instructor controls the placement and availability of tests, assignments, and other content. Your instructor may have set specific conditions on releasing the content or hasn’t made it available. Contact your instructor to identify where the materials are located and if you should have access.
Instructors determine which grades, if any, appear in their courses. Posting grades in Blackboard is entirely optional for instructors and serves an informational role. Students' official course grades are recorded only in the GWeb Information System.
To view your grades in Blackboard:
- Login to Blackboard.
- Access the course in which the grade has been assigned.
- Click My Grades on the Course Menu.
If you do not see My Grades on the Course Menu, click Tools and click My Grades on the resulting page. If you don’t see My Grades listed, check with your instructor.
Access scheduled and recorded sessions by clicking on Tools in the course menu and then on Blackboard Collaborate.
For more on Blackboard Collaborate follow these links:
All students must have a Turning Account, register it through Blackboard, and add their license code and device ID to their account in order to receive credit for participation during a TurningPoint session.
If you do not have a Turning Account license and/or clicker, you can purchase them at the GW Bookstore.
- If you have a clicker, you only need to purchase a Turning Account license and enter your device ID in your Turning account.
- If you do not already have clicker, you can purchase the Turning account license bundle which includes a clicker and a Turning Account license.
- If your course allows the use a mobile device instead of a clicker, you just need to purchase a Turning Account license. To participate in TurningPoint session with a mobile device, you must also install the ResponseWare application from the Apple App store or Google Play Store.
Turning Technologies is offering a $20.99 rebate to GW students for purchases of new devices, bundles,or licenses during the 2016-2017 academic year.
When purchased online, the license code is automatically applied to your account. You don’t need to enter it separately. If you are in your Turning Account, you can confirm it was applied by seeing the green checkmark for license code.
My instructor informed me that I am showing as inactive in their TurningPoint participant list. I created a Turning Account. Why am I inactive?
Have you registered your Turning Account?
Be sure that you have clicked on Tools and Turning Account Registration from within Blackboard. You may have created your Turning Account from the Turning Technologies web site, but you still need to register it through Blackboard. Click on the Turning Account Registration link within Blackboard and log in to your Turning Account. You only need to do this once. Confirm the Learning Management System box has a green checkmark.
Have you added a license code to your account?
You must also have the license code box with a green checkmark. Be sure to have purchased and entered a license code. You can find the license code in the box that came with your clicker or part of a scratch-off License Card. If you purchased it online it is automatically applied to your account. You won’t receive an email with a license code.
Did you use your GW email address to create your account?
When you create your Turning Account you must use your GW email address (@gwu.edu). If you used a personal email address you will need to change it to your GW email.
You can log into your Turning Account with your current email address. Once in your account, click on Profile. At the top of the page under your current email address is a change email address link. You should receive an email verification to verify the change of your account email. Be sure to follow any instructions in the verification email.
When logged into your Turning Account you should see the following:
If you are using ResponseWare, the Device box does not need to have a green checkmark. However, the License and Learning Management System boxes must be checked.